I Need Help So I Can Stay in My Home. What Help is Available?


Medicaid provides a case manager and caregivers in the home. There is a long waiting list. As of December 2015 there were 58,818 people on the list. Call the Area Agency on Aging at 800-963-5337 and tell them you need help. Remember this is needs-based.

(1) Don’t minimize the gravity of your situation, and
(2) Realize that if you have a short term rehabilitation stay you can get around the waiting list by qualifying for Medicaid at the
nursing home and transitioning back home with services in the home.

PACE – (Program of All-inclusive Care for the Elderly)

Pinellas is lucky to be one of only seven Florida Counties that have the PACE program. It targets medically needy individuals and provides them with community-based services. PACE recipients receive all their primary care at the PACE center located behind Hospice Woodside in Pinellas Park. Call them at 727-289-0062.

VA Homemaker Program

This program provides caregivers to help aged medically needy Veterans manage their activities of daily living. Call Bay Pines at 727-398-6661 Extension 15391 between 8:00 and 4:00. You will have to enroll in the VA Medical Care Program.

Private Pay

If you have the ability to pay for care then please call our office and we will be happy to recommend two or three companies for you to contact. I recommend using agencies rather than individuals. Due to the nature of personal home care and the reliance of the senior on the caregiver, the risk of exploitation is minimized when an agency is engaged.

Walt Shurden
Board Certified Elder Law Attorney